Sunday, December 9, 2007

AHHHHHHH!!


Sorry that the picture isn't quite related to the entry this time (Vassar is still not located in the metropolis of Chicago) but I thought it well represented my burning desire to finish the semester and enjoy myself (...and spend time on my thesis) for a few weeks before having to worry about such trivial things as exams and readings and papers once again. Bah, humbug.

I'm in the middle of studying for my "Energy: Sources and Policies" final, which basically means that I'm surfing the Internet (oops). Classes ended last Friday (meaning Thursday for me because I rigged my schedule) and this week is study week. Study week is probably my favorite of the semester because it's the week that I study the least, despite the somewhat suggestive name. Study week is officially the week before final exams begin and allows students a time to prepare for exams without the burden of classwork, and I'm sure those who have final exams appreciate the time off very much. But as a student of the social sciences, my main function is to write papers, meaning that I spend half of study week watching movies and calming my nerves and the other half writing to my hearts delight--except for this semester because my final papers were due prior to finals week. Now all I have are finals for my film and energy classes and two final essays, which I would say is a very light end of the semester load. In this case, I will probably spend 75% of my time chilling out and the rest working and studying. At the same time, one of my housemates is planning on pulling a couple all-nighters this week due to her large amount of work. What can I say? I got lucky.

But don't let me put too much emphasis on the joys of study week without mentioning the best part: Primal Scream. Some people think the Primal Scream is overrated, but honestly, what could an overly stressed-out, sleep-deprived college student ask for other than the chance to scream at the top of their lungs? Maybe a million dollars, but you get the point.

How does this scream function? Well, tradition is that on the last night of study week, all of the students gather in the center of the quad (that being the center between the four quad dorms--Raymond, Davison, Strong, and Lathrop), and at the stroke of midnight everyone screams as loud as they possibly can. Legend has it that the scream is heard for miles due to its intensity, but because I have attended the scream every semester I cannot attest to its validity. But considering how loud the scream is, it's hard to believe that the legend isn't true. I would say most students attend the scream, mostly because my boyfriend goes and he tends to not participate in many of the weird traditional activities on campus. (And yes, that fact is entirely what I base my attendance guess on).

Do I plan on attending this semester? Of course I do-and you better believe I'm bringing my camera. Not only is The Scream a great form of stress relief, it's also a pretty big end of the semester social event.

Aside from my studies, I've also been trying to plan for Winter Break. In the past, I didn't like to look forward to breaks (to be completely honest, Vassar is much more fun than home!), but this break should be pretty exciting. I planned a trip to Portland, Oregon for January and my boyfriend will be spending a week at my house beginning New Years Eve. But before I can go home, I need to prepare for the journey there (hey, eight hours is a long way to drive, especially on artificial energy AKA lots and lots of coffee). First of all, leaving my TA empty and alone for a month is really awkward. I have a tendency to humanize inanimate objects, and my house is one of them. I almost feel like I'm letting it down by leaving for so long. But perhaps more practically speaking, a month really is a long time to leave a refrigerator and an assortment of plants alone. It's important to clean out a refrigerator before a trip because who knows what kind of creepy, slimy gunk would grow in there otherwise. My point exactly. And as far as the plants go... well, leaving them all alone with no water is simply inhumane. That's one torturous death I would not like to endure, and I definitely wouldn't wish it upon my plants. Besides, considering the amount of time I've spent bashing Christmas as a holiday that encourages the killing of perfectly happy pine trees, I should probably find my plants a place before they suffer a similar fate.

Over the past summer, I decided that one of my goals is to watch all of the American Film Institute Top 100 Films at least once, so tonight I'm watching film number 28--"All About Eve." In other words, that means I'm done studying for the night and ready to chill out!

No comments: