Saturday, May 24, 2008

Commencement Eve

As you may or may not know, tomorrow is commencement, and consequently, I'm anticlimactically kicked out of my TA Monday morning at 9am. Yes, I also think it's weird that they pretty much hand us our diplomas then toss us out on the street literally less than 24 hours later, but then again, I also thought it was strange that in my mail this morning I received a letter asking me to donate money right after I stop paying tuition, as if I have a job or something. Huh?! But amidst all the craziness and irrational money begging, college is coming to a bittersweet end that I never thought would come.

It's hard to come to terms with the fact that, after tomorrow, not every room I enter will harbor a Steinway piano or be inhabited with the people that I have come to know over my four years at Vassar. I've stayed for commencement weekend in the past, once for my job and another time for a furniture recycling program called SWAPR (really awesome, tons of free stuff!), but when you're not the one graduating, there's always that reassuring feeling that you'll be back in the fall. But now it's hard to accept that I won't be back in the fall and really have no idea where I'll be or what I'll be doing in as little as a few weeks from now.

Tonight is my last night as a college student. While I don't know what I'm doing or where I'm going after tomorrow, I'll finally have something tangible to show that I made it (it's called a diploma). And considering this is probably the sappiest entry I've written yet this year, I think it calls for a sequel. Next time I'll inform you that I tripped down the amphitheater as they called my name at commencement and preceded to receive the wrong diploma.

No comments: