Sunday, October 7, 2007

Speaker In Lieu Of Midterm? Please?

October Break is next week, but you never get off easy around here before a break from classes. Oh no no. Between yesterday and today, I've studied for nearly 14 hours (almost) straight, but I still feel like I'm only going to "pass" my film midterm exam. Earlier in the semester I thought taking film was going to be a complete joke, but at this point my study guide indicates that I haven't really learned much--or paid attention in class, for that matter. After taking mostly classes that focus on theory for the past couple of years, memorizing dates, people, and concepts just isn't my thing anymore. Whoever it was that invented flashcards is my savior.

Thankfully, my exam is scheduled for noon tomorrow, so after that point I won't feel obligated to study--instead, I'll feel obligated to write a 4-5 page paper for my sociology class in lieu of a midterm exam. That really makes me feel special.

But no matter what happens tomorrow, John Amaechi is coming to give a lecture, and I am definitely going. In case you don't know who John Amaechi is, he's a former NBA star best known as a power forward for the Orlando Magic and the Utah Jazz. Now, I don't know anything about basketball, but John's story is pretty cool. In February he became the first NBA player to come out as gay, which was pretty groundbreaking. I learned about John Amaechi soon after he made his announcement, and at that time (as well as now) there were a lot of mixed feelings from players and fans about Amaechi's sexual orientation. Personally, I think his decision to come out was very honorable and proved for one--to put it bluntly--that gay men can play basketball. Not that that was the only thing that came out of his announcement, but you know what I mean. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing him speak tomorrow (as well as the free refreshments beforehand!).

We've had a lot of cool speakers during my three and some years here--to name a few: Tom Hanks, Tim O' Brien, Jeff Corwin (from Animal Planet!), Terry Gross, Ralph Nader, and Amy Goodman. But the real question is, Who is going to be my graduation speaker? I suggested Vaclav Havel, but I'm pretty certain that I'm the only student on campus who would be giddy about seeing the former president of the Czech Republic up at the podium, as my fellow classmates are sick with the welcome or unwelcome anticipation of receiving their diplomas. But what's more charming than a little Central European-style humor with a few "back in communist times..." stories on such a special day? Much to my disappointment, it seems to be unlikely scenario.

On the same token, it may be my missing the Czech Republic that has caused my recent sick obsession with anything and everything Czech. The other day I spent an hour looking online for anywhere that might sell or offer downloads of songs by the Plastic People of the Universe, only to find a minute and 30 second clip of a song that barely gave me the feel for any of their music. At that point, I think I felt a tear drop out of my right eye. Creepy, I know.

Interestingly enough, Vaclav Havel's favorite band is the Velvet Underground (who were the main influence of the PPU), and one of my bosses was married to a member of the band. When I told her about my obsession with Vaclav Havel, she said she could hook me up with one of his books, which practically had me drooling last week at work. I swear I'm not a stalker......

No comments: