Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Senior Freak Out...I Mean Thesis

As a senior, it's getting to the point where I have to face my biggest fear: my senior thesis. Contrary to popular belief, being a senior doesn't necessarily mean I can write a thesis, and somehow I'm expected to turn in a research proposal in exactly two weeks from today. Following a brief freak out session last week, I decided to pay a visit to my advisor and see what exactly I need to do for my thesis, and how far along in the process I should be at this point.

A senior thesis is a long paper written by seniors who majored in certain fields, such as sociology. In fact, I believe that a majority of students at Vassar will either write a senior thesis or create a senior project, depending on their major, during senior year. For example, out of my housemates, I am writing a senior thesis, my housemate who is a music major is performing a senior recital, and my housemate who is a media studies major is creating a senior project. Now don't get me wrong-the senior recital and senior project both require a great deal of work like the thesis-but personally I think the senior thesis sounds the scariest. Upon coming to college, I was so intimidated of the aspect of writing a senior thesis that I attempted to major in a field that didn't require one for graduation, such as psychology or political science. But my love for sociology foiled my plans, and I am now sitting here scared out of my mind.

First of all, I have a hard time getting it through my head that a senior thesis is just a really long paper. From what my advisor said, it's generally between 50 and 60 pages for sociology majors, but I should think of it as being more like four twelve page papers, considering the thesis will probably have four chapters. Okay, so maybe it really is just a long paper, but how can I think of it in those terms when it gets a title like, "senior thesis," which provides no indication of just being four papers. For me, that's very intimidating.

Second, how am I supposed to think of a topic that will interest me for an ENTIRE year? Personally, I think I'm a bit of a flake at most things that I do in the sense that I like a lot of things, and sometimes get really into things, but personally I have no real burning life passions that make me want to say, "Wow! I really wish I could spend a whole year writing about this!" No way Jose.

For me, the "SENIOR THESIS" was a BIG deal. But speaking to my advisor informed me that it's pretty much just like taking a class, but something that is sort of self-instructed (as if I have self discipline).

Here's the abbreviated version of our conversation:

Me: So about this senior thesis.... I hear the proposal is due on September 25th, but I have no idea what I'm doing!
My Advisor: That's okay. Most students have no idea what they are doing, and many of them will actually find a focus after they turn in the proposal.
Me: About the proposal.... can I write it up the week before, have you check it, and then fix it and turn it in on the 25th?
My Advisor: Huh... I suppose you could do that.... but I think a lot of times students write it the night before.
Me: Wow... I thought it was a really big deal?
My Advisor: Brooke, it's just a really big paper. Don't worry about it so much. If you're really worried, feel free to check out the sample theses in the Sociology office.

Wow! Sample theses?! I wonder if any of them are old enough that the professors in the sociology department wouldn't remember them being written.... Not that I would ever do that, of course.

But in all seriousness, creating a research project of my very own could be kind of cool-you know, the opportunity to conduct actual research and write up the results and say, "So THIS is what I found. Aren't I soooooo awesome?" Okay, obviously I wouldn't say that, but you get the point.

Now, to find a topic.....

No comments: