Wednesday, July 11, 2007

HARRY POTTER V!

So last night I most definitely sacrificed my health and well being (aka sleep) for the opportunity to see the premiere of the movie "Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix." There are less than two weeks left until the seventh book comes out and because I've read all of the books only once, the movies are a good way to reinforce what's going on. Unfortunately some of the things in the movie were slightly altered for the big screen, but I knew that the changes were inevitable. What's more important is that I saw it at the first showing, which makes me either totally cool or even more of a nerd, depending on your perspective. At least I didn't dress up (although I won't pretend I didn't consider it....).

My friends and I got there around 10:00 for the first showing (at midnight, of course) and there was already a pretty good -sized line. We got into the theatre at 10:30 (thank god considering how hot it was! 85 degrees! 85 degrees at 10 at night!) then discussed the best way to set 90's music to a musical about minutemen along the Mexican border. But don't go stealing that idea- you know as well as I that it would be a big money maker (and after getting Vassar degrees we’ll need to pay off a few loans....).

A surprisingly large number of other Vassar summer students made the pilgrimage, but I'm not saying that this was a Vassar packed crowd by any means. While watching a 25-30 year old-heavyweight with a giant tattoo of skulls dancing around his arm stand next to a 12 year old girl in an "I *Heart* Harry" shirt, I had to ask myself, "Who doesn't like Harry Potter?"

While the movie wasn't the most outstanding piece of cinema I'd ever seen, it was still pretty good and made a good attempt to stay true to the book while keeping it under 5 hours long. My personal opinion is that $8.75 is too much to pay for just a movie, but it's a steal for a 12:01am Harry Potter cult fan-fest.

No comments: